Wednesday, May 11, 2011

37 – Arcade…

In the cloisters
If I had to select one image that conveys the feelings I experienced during the entire visit to Mont St Michel, I think this would be it. There is something slightly hypnotic about the perspective of the arcade on the south side of the cloisters. Photographically too, it is certainly one of my favourite shots. Contrast the enclosed columns and arches to the left (of Caen limestone) with those of granite to the right. Note also the use of a double row of columns on the right, the two rows being slightly staggered creating a succession of tripods, a design not commonly seen previously, but found in later Normandy Gothic designs. This technique created greater strength for the timbered roof. Click on the image for an enlarged version to see the floral carved detail in the corner crochets between the arches, which were mentioned in yesterday’s post.
The vaulted shingle timbered roof and ceiling are in magnificent condition. Although restoration has taken place, the craftsmanship using age old traditions is notable, and the cloisters present a fine example of church gothic styling. I feel as though I’m walking in solitude there once more. I wish I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment