Friday, May 6, 2011

34 – St Michel…

Inside the abbey iii

QVIS VT DEVS, is the inscription beneath this polychrome statue – the one overlooking the altar in the transept crossing of the abbey. Accepting that it is probably from mediaeval times and that the inscription would be Latin we then get it as Quis Ut Deus – "who is like God". There is no doubt then that this is a depiction of St Michel. The name Michel or Michael can be broken down into its Hebrew components Mich El – which literally translates again as “who like God” – further identity confirmation if needed.
Two coincidences immediately came to my mind. The first is that I recognised this Latin phrase as the motto of the South African Midlands college school Michaelhouse. That in turn led me to discovering that the school was originally known as St Michael’s Diocesan College – a saintly association I had not made before. It’s probably not important, the school is not my personal alma mater, but I recently moved to live in this area of the country.
The second coincidence (of sorts) – my second (and family used) name is Michael. I started to understand better the unfathomably deep feelings of belonging I had felt during my visit to the Mont (and probably the hopes my mother had had for me at birth).
The motto is also frequently depicted on St Michel’s shield in artworks of his dragon slaying adventure, referenced in an earlier post. You will see too in the carving the scales and lance in hand – symbols of his exalted position in the hierarchy of angels – the scales being his to use during the judgement of souls, the lance his symbol of defender - the dragon's heart lies at his feet. Quis Ut Deus?

2 comments:

  1. Dave, I thoroughly enjoyed viewing the photographs and your accompanying descriptions. I know of Michaelhouse, having lived in SA (Jhb) for many years - ex Namibia. My second name is also Michael, the first one being the French Claude. I have always had a fascination with St Michel and hope that one day I might actually be able to travel there with my wife. For now it is wonderful, browsing through your material. Thanks for sharing. Regards, Michael Wecke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Michael. I never finished posting to this blog having 'lost' the remaining images on a crashed computer disc. The good news is I have recently recovered them (the wonders of technology), and intend completing the 'tour' in the near future.

      Watch this space, and I sincerely hope your ambition to visit the site materialises.
      Regards - Dave

      Delete