Thursday, May 5, 2011

33 – Madonna and Child…

Inside the Abbey ii

Mont Saint-Michel remains in the custody of the Roman Catholic Church. Although not of that faith myself I do know enough about it to know that Mary, mother of Jesus is adored and revered more than in others of the Christian faith. This is so much the case that somewhat grand statues and effigies of Mary dominate the naves or apses of many a Roman Catholic Church or cathedral I have visited. I was therefore a little surprised that this is not so in the abbey church of Mont Saint Michel. But, then again I have already said that despite the towering grandeur of the Marvel’s structure, I found most things (especially so where decorative arts are concerned) on the Mont to be somewhat understated. Pleasantly so, I may add.
That is not to say that representations of Mary are not there, as this wooden polychrome Madonna and Child will attest. I have admired many examples of wooden polychrome decorated carvings, especially in Germany where the art form continues as a traditional craft especially in the Black Forest region. But the rustic naivety of the examples of the style found inside the abbey show that even since the Middle Ages it was an art form that found widespread appreciation throughout Europe. Surprisingly, you can today find fairly old examples at auction and even on eBay at remarkably affordable prices.
The silent penetrating stare of the statuettes added to the feeling that Saints still dwell within the abbey, watching over the many who make this pilgrimage.

No comments:

Post a Comment