Sunday, March 20, 2011

02 – the Mondiale

The motor show ....

It may seem strange to start my story of Mont Saint-Michel with an insert on the exhibition centre at the Porte de Versailles, but on this trip I had come primarily to visit the Mondiale de l’Automobile (Paris Motor Show). If you followed my first Parisian visit through Paris…In My Pocket! you will have realised I wouldn’t need much of an excuse to return to the city.  
Beyond my childhood dream of seeing Mont Saint-Michel, one of the other items on my personal ‘bucket list’ has been to do the three main European Motor Shows (Paris, Geneva and Frankfurt), and this was the year for Paris to have her turn (Paris and Frankfurt politely alternate hosting two of Europe’s major motor exhibitions). With my Audi due for replacement and the four ringed German marque having just revealed it’s then still controversial new face PLUS - with the model of the RSQ Concept (seen in the movie iRobot) being Audi’s guest of honour - AND a rumour that the next Le Mans supercar prototype (now known in production as the covetable R8) may be on display - this seemed the obvious year to check that particular motor show box.
But that would fill a day, or probably two, leaving my planned week long visit with quite a few days open to fulfil some other long held wishes. Of course I’d have to revisit many of my favourite Paris city sites, but the further choices I had made were to visit:
Chartres (for the legendary stained glass windows of the cathedral),
Some of the Loire Valley châteaux and champagne estates
… and of course …
Mont Saint-Michel.
That image from the stamp just would not go away.
Not that I wished it would!


No comments:

Post a Comment